Sunday, September 26, 2010
Jhunjhunu district or Jhunjhunu district is a district of the state of Rajasthan in western India. It was named in the memory of a Jat named Jhunjha or Jujhar Singh Nehra .
The town of Jhunjhunu is the district headquarters. It is a part of Shekhawati Region. It was ruled by the Kaimkhani Nawabs till 1730. Rohilla Khan was the last Nawab of Jhunjhunu. The Nawabs ruled over Jhunjhunu for 280 years. Rohilla Khan had imposed great faith in Shardul Singh and he acted as his Diwan. Shardul Singh was a very courageous, bold, brave and efficient administrator. He occupied jhunjhunu, after the death of Rohilla Khan in 1730.
Shardul Singh was as brave as his ancestor Rao Shekha ji was, It was by dint of his Subtle political Demeanour that he occupied (usurped) Jhunjhunu & ruled over it for twelve years. After his death the estate was divided equally among his five sons & they continued to rule over it till india achieved freedom shardul singh was a man of religious bent of mind, as he built many temples such as kalyan Ji Mandir & Gopinath Ji Ka mandir at Jhunjhunu. To commemorate the sweet memory of his father, his sons made a monumental dome at Parasrampura. Its fresco painting is worth seeing.
The district has a population of 1,913,099 (2001 census), an area of 5928 km², and a population density of 323 persons per km². The district falls within Shekhawati region, and is bounded on the northeast and east by Haryana state, on the southeast, south, and southwest by Sikar District, and on the northwest and north by Churu District.
It is famous for providing considerable representation to Indian defence forces.
The Dalmia and The Birla family, two families of prominent Indian industrialists, hail from the district. Birla Institute of Science and Technology, one of the prestigious engineering institute, is situated at Pilani. Pilani is a town in Jhunjhunu District.
Many tourist come to Jhunjhunu to visit Rani Sati Temple and Old Havelis.
In Khetri town, copper mines are situated.